From your point of view, the main RMAST credos are “competitive soccer” and “fun”. Inside the tournament, we also go by the standards of “continual improvement” and “transparent communication”.
After each tournament, we the organizers meet with our referee coordinators, solicit feedback from the City of Boulder field managers, and conduct a post-tourney survey of participants. To give you a sense of how we are doing, below are results from our 2019 tournament survey.
The big picture is excellent:
- 94% of respondents rated the overall tournament as better than or equal to other tournaments they have played.
What rated the best with our attendees?
- The fields at Pleasant View Soccer Complex are outstanding; 86% of you rated them as better than fields you have played on at other tournaments.
- 81% of you rated Boulder and Colorado, as the host location, as better than that of other tournaments you have played.
- The atmosphere of the tournament rated 4.72, which based on the comments is because of having all teams playing at the same complex and the overall tone set by we organizers, “serious but fun”.
- 96% of you rated the tournament organization as better than or equal to the competition and 96% rated the tournament atmosphere as better than or equal to our competitors.
And what do we need to improve on?
- The referees were by far the biggest area of complaint and, in fact, were really the only major area of complaint. For the 2019 tournament, we increased our involvement with referee selection, declined half a dozen referees with whom we had familiarity, and provided tournament guidelines to all referees. It didn’t seem to help. For 2020, we will be reassessing this in hopes of making substantial improvement.
Overall, we are thrilled with the results and with participant feedback. We invite those of you who did not attend to enjoy Boulder, our outstanding fields, and the positive and fun tournament atmosphere we are striving to create.